peonage(redirected from Mita)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The condition of being a peon.
2. A system by which debtors are bound in servitude to their creditors until their debts are paid.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Sociology) the state of being a peon
2. (Banking & Finance) a system in which a debtor must work for his creditor until the debt is paid off
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pe•on•age(ˈpi ə nɪdʒ)
1. the condition or service of a peon.
2. the practice of holding persons in servitude or partial slavery, as to work off a debt or to serve a penal sentence.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peonage - the condition of a peon|
|2.||peonage - the practice of making a debtor work for his creditor until the debt is discharged|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.