Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Mitchell: Joni Mitchell
Mitch·ell(mĭch′əl), Margaret Munnerlyn 1900-1949.
American writer known for her novel Gone with the Wind (1936), for which she won a Pulitzer Prize.
Mitchell, Maria 1818-1889.
American astronomer and educator noted for her study of sunspots and nebulae and for the discovery of a comet (1847). She was the first woman elected to the Academy of Arts and Sciences (1848).
A peak, 2,038 m (6,684 ft) high, in the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina. It is the highest point east of the Mississippi River.
Mitchell, William Known as "Billy." 1879-1936.
American general and aviation pioneer who was one of the first advocates of military air power.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Joni, original name Roberta Joan Anderson. born 1943, Canadian folk-rock singer and songwriter. Her albums include Blue (1971), Court and Spark (1974), Mingus (1979), Turbulent Indigo (1994), and Shine (2007)
2. (Biography) Margaret. 1900–49, US novelist; author of Gone with the Wind (1936)
3. (Biography) Reginald Joseph. 1895–1937, British aeronautical engineer; designer of the Spitfire fighter
4. (Biography) Sir Thomas Livingstone, known as Major Mitchell. 1792–1855, Australian explorer born in Scotland
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. John, 1870–1919, U.S. labor leader.
2. Maria, 1818–89, U.S. astronomer.
3. William, 1879–1936, U.S. general: pioneer in the field of aviation.
4. Mount, a mountain in W North Carolina: highest peak in the eastern U.S., 6684 ft. (2037 m).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mitchell - English aeronautical engineer (1895-1937)|
|2.||Mitchell - United States aviator and general who was an early advocate of military air power (1879-1936)|
|3.||Mitchell - United States astronomer who studied sunspots and nebulae (1818-1889)|
|4.||Mitchell - United States writer noted for her novel about the South during the American Civil War (1900-1949)|
|5.||Mitchell - United States labor leader; president of the United Mine Workers of America from 1898 to 1908 (1870-1919)|
|6.||Mitchell - United States dancer who formed the first Black classical ballet company (born in 1934)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.