Mixtec(redirected from Mixtec civilization)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Mixtec or Mix·tecs
a. A member of a Mesoamerican Indian people of southern Mexico whose civilization was overthrown by the Aztecs in the 1500s.
b. A modern-day descendant of this people.
2. Any of the related group of Oto-Manguean languages spoken by this people.
[Spanish, from Nahuatl mixtecatl, inhabitant of Mixtecapán, a province of the Aztec empire.]
npl -tecs or -tec
1. (Peoples) a member of an American Indian people of Mexico
2. (Languages) the language of this people
Mixˈtecan adj, n
n., pl. -tecs, (esp. collectively) -tec.
1. a member of an American Indian people living primarily in N and W Oaxaca in Mexico.
2. the complex of Otomanguean languages spoken by the Mixtecs.
Mix•tec′an, adj., n.