Manasseh(redirected from Mnashe)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
In the Bible, the eldest son of Joseph and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nDouay spelling: Manases
1. (Bible) the elder son of Joseph (Genesis 41:51)
2. (Bible) the Israelite tribe descended from him
3. (Bible) the territory of this tribe, in the upper Jordan valley
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the first son of Joseph. Gen. 41:51.
2. one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him. Gen. 48:14–19.
3. a king of Judah of the 7th century B.C. II Kings 21.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.