Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Mohawk or Mo·hawks
1. A member of a Native American people formerly inhabiting northeast New York along the Mohawk and upper Hudson Valleys north to the St. Lawrence River, with present-day populations chiefly in southern Ontario and extreme northern New York. The Mohawk were the easternmost member of the Iroquois confederacy.
2. The Iroquoian language of the Mohawk.
n. pl. Mo·hawks
A hairstyle in which the scalp is shaved except for an upright strip of hair that runs across the crown of the head from the forehead to the nape of the neck.
npl -hawks or -hawk
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people formerly living along the Mohawk River; one of the Iroquois peoples
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Iroquoian family
(Placename) a river in E central New York State, flowing south and east to the Hudson River at Cohoes: the largest tributary of the Hudson. Length: 238 km (148 miles)
1. (Ice Skating) skating a half turn from either edge of either skate to the corresponding edge of the other skate
2. (Hairdressing & Grooming) US and Canadian a punk hairstyle in which the head is shaved at the sides and the remaining strip of hair is worn stiffly erect and sometimes brightly coloured. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): mohican
[C19: after Mohawk1]
n., pl. -hawks, (esp. collectively) -hawk.
1. a member of an American Indian people, orig. residing in the middle Mohawk River valley in New York: the easternmost of the Iroquois Five Nations.
2. the Iroquoian language of the Mohawks.
3. a river flowing E from central New York to the Hudson. 148 mi. (240 km) long.
4. (often l.c.) a hairstyle with the scalp shaved except for a center strip of stiff, bluntly cut hair running front to back.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Mohawk - a member of the Iroquoian people formerly living along the Mohawk River in New York State|
Iroquois - any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York State; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
|2.||Mohawk - the Iroquoian language spoken by the Mohawk|
|3.||mohawk - haircut in which the head is shaved except for a band of hair down the middle of the scalp|
haircut - the style in which hair has been cut