Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northeast-central Louisiana east of Shreveport. Founded in 1785, it is an industrial center.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) James. 1758–1831, US statesman; fifth president of the US (1817–25). He promulgated the Monroe Doctrine (1823)
2. (Biography) Marilyn, born Norma Jeane Mortenson, later Norma Jeane Baker, sometimes spelled Norma Jean, 1926–62, US film actress. Her films include Niagara (1952), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), and Some Like It Hot (1959)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. James, 1758–1831, 5th president of the U.S. 1817–25.
2. Marilyn (Norma Jean Baker or Mortenson), 1926–62, U.S. film actress.
3. a city in N Louisiana. 54,520.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Monroe - United States film actress noted for sex appeal (1926-1962)|
|2.||Monroe - 5th President of the United States; author of the Monroe Doctrine (1758-1831)|
|3.||Monroe - a town of southeast Michigan on Lake Erie|
|4.||Monroe - a town in north central Louisiana|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.