earth mother(redirected from Mother goddess)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Mother goddess: Triple Goddess
1. A goddess or female spirit representing the earth as the giver of life; a fertility goddess.
2. A woman combining maternal and sensual qualities.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (European Myth & Legend) (in various mythologies)
a. a female goddess considered as the source of fertility and life
b. the earth personified
2. informal a sensual or fecund woman
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n. (often caps.)
1. the earth conceived of as the female principle of fertility and the source of all life.
2. a female spirit or deity serving as a symbol of life or fertility.
3. a sensuous, maternal woman.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Also known as the Great Mother, this is a deity worshiped by some modern witches.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited