motorman(redirected from Motormen)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. The driver of an electrically powered streetcar, locomotive, or subway train.
2. One who is responsible for maintaining engines, pumps, and other machinery in an oil drilling operation.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -men
1. (Railways) the driver of an electric train
2. (Mechanical Engineering) the operator of a motor
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mo•tor•man(ˈmoʊ tər mən)
n., pl. -men.
1. a person who drives an electrically operated vehicle, as a streetcar or subway train.
2. a person who operates a motor.
usage: See -man.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
motorman[ˈməʊtəˌmæn] n (-men (pl)) (Am) (of electric train) → macchinista m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995