massif(redirected from Mountain massif)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A large mountain mass or compact group of connected mountains forming an independent portion of a range.
2. A large section or block of the earth's crust that is more rigid than the surrounding rock and has been moved or displaced as a unit.
[French, massive, massif, from Old French; see massive.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
massif(ˈmæsiːf; French masif)
1. (Geological Science) a geologically distinct mass of rock or a series of connected masses forming the peaks of a mountain range
2. (Geological Science) a topographically high part of the earth's crust that is bounded by faults and may be shifted by tectonic movements
[C19: from French, noun use of massif massive]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
mas•sif(mæˈsif, ˈmæs ɪf)
1. a compact portion of a mountain range, containing one or more summits.
2. a band or zone of the earth's crust raised or depressed as a unit and bounded by faults.
[1515–25; < French, n. use of massif massive]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
massif- A compact group of mountains or a mountain range section; it first meant "building block" and the word massive is derived from that.
See also related terms for mountains.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
A mountain mass of ancient rocks partly dissected into separate peaks.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||massif - a block of the earth's crust bounded by faults and shifted to form peaks of a mountain range|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
גוש הריםמסיףמקשה הרים
massif[mæˈsiːf] N → macizo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
massif[ˈmæsiːf] n → massif m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Geog) → (Gebirgs)massiv nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007