mosaic(redirected from Mozilla)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Mozilla: Mozilla Firefox
Of or relating to Moses or the laws and writings attributed to him.
a. A picture or decorative design made by setting small colored pieces, as of stone or tile, into a surface.
b. The process or art of making such pictures or designs.
2. A composite picture made of overlapping, usually aerial, photographs.
3. Something that resembles a mosaic: a mosaic of testimony from various witnesses.
4. Botany A viral disease of plants, resulting in light and dark areas in the leaves, which often become shriveled and dwarfed.
5. An array of photosensitive elements in a video camera that react to light and are scanned by other components to compose an image.
6. Biology An individual exhibiting mosaicism.
tr.v. mo·sa·icked, mo·sa·ick·ing, mo·sa·ics
1. To make by mosaic: mosaic a design on a rosewood box.
2. To adorn with or as if with mosaic: mosaic a sidewalk.
[Middle English musycke, from Old French mosaique, from Old Italian mosaico, from Medieval Latin mūsāicum, neuter of mūsāicus, of the Muses, from Latin Mūsa, Muse, from Greek Mousa; see men- in Indo-European roots.]
mo·sa′i·cist (mō-zā′ĭ-sĭst) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) a design or decoration made up of small pieces of coloured glass, stone, etc
2. (Art Terms) the process of making a mosaic
3. (Plant Pathology)
a. a mottled yellowing that occurs in the leaves of plants affected with any of various virus diseases
b. Also called: mosaic disease any of the diseases, such as tobacco mosaic, that produce this discoloration
4. (Genetics) genetics another name for chimera4
5. (Surveying) an assembly of aerial photographs forming a composite picture of a large area on the ground
6. (Electrical Engineering) a light-sensitive surface on a television camera tube, consisting of a large number of granules of photoemissive material deposited on an insulating medium
[C16: via French and Italian from Medieval Latin mōsaicus, from Late Greek mouseion mosaic work, from Greek mouseios of the Muses, from mousa Muse]
(Ecclesiastical Terms) of or relating to Moses or the laws and traditions ascribed to him
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., adj., v. -icked, -ick•ing. n.
1. a picture or decoration made of small, usu. colored pieces of inlaid stone, glass, etc.
2. the process of producing such a picture or decoration.
3. something resembling a mosaic, esp. in being made up of diverse elements: a cultural mosaic.
4. Also called photomosaic. an assembly of aerial photographs matched to show a continuous photographic representation of an area.
5. Also called mosa′ic disease`. any of several diseases of plants, characterized by mottled green or green and yellow areas on the leaves, caused by certain viruses.
6. an organism exhibiting mosaicism.adj.
7. pertaining to, resembling, or used for making a mosaic or mosaic work: a mosaic tile.
8. composed of a combination of diverse elements.v.t.
9. to make a mosaic of or from.
10. to decorate with mosaic.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Middle French mosaïque < Italian mosaico < Medieval Latin musaicum; orig. obscure]
mo•sa′i•cist (-ə sɪst) n.
of or pertaining to Moses or the writings, laws, and principles attributed to him.
[1655–65; < New Latin Mosaicus < Late Latin Mōs(ēs) Moses1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An assembly of overlapping photographs that have been matched to form a continuous photographic representation of a portion of the surface of the Earth. See also controlled mosaic; semi-controlled mosaic.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mosaic - art consisting of a design made of small pieces of colored stone or glass|
art, fine art - the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art"
tessera - a small square tile of stone or glass used in making mosaics
|2.||mosaic - viral disease in solanaceous plants (tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco) resulting in mottling and often shriveling of the leaves|
plant disease - a disease that affects plants
potato mosaic - a disease of the leaves of potato plants
tobacco mosaic - a plant disease causing discoloration of the leaves of tobacco plants
|3.||Mosaic - a freeware browser|
|4.||mosaic - a pattern resembling a mosaic|
|5.||mosaic - transducer formed by the light-sensitive surface on a television camera tube|
television camera, tv camera, camera - television equipment consisting of a lens system that focuses an image on a photosensitive mosaic that is scanned by an electron beam
transducer - an electrical device that converts one form of energy into another
|6.||mosaic - arrangement of aerial photographs forming a composite picture|
|Adj.||1.||Mosaic - of or relating to Moses or the laws and writings attributed to him; "Mosaic Law"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
mosaic[məʊˈzeɪɪk] n → mosaïque f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
mosaic[məʊˈzeɪɪk] n → mosaico
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
(the art of making) a design formed by fitting together small pieces of coloured marble, glass etc. mosaïek فُسَيْفِساء мозайка mosaico mozaika das Mosaik mosaik μωσαϊκόmosaico mosaiik موزاییکی mosaiikki mosaïqueפסיפס पच्चीकारी, चित्र वर्ण mozaik mozaik mosaik mósaík(list) mosaico モザイク 모자이크 mozaika mozaīka mozek mozaïekmosaikkmozaika موزاييك mosaico mozaic мозаика mozaika mozaik mozaik mosaik การประดับด้วยหิน หรือแก้วสีต่าง ๆ mozaik 馬賽克鑲嵌，馬賽克鑲嵌工藝 мозаїка کاشی کاری đồ khảm 马赛克镶嵌工艺
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
mosaic→ فُسَيْفِسَاءٌ mozaika mosaik Mosaik μωσαϊκό mosaico mosaiikki mosaïque mozaik mosaico モザイク 모자이크 mozaïek mosaikk mozaika mosaico мозаика mosaik ลวดลายที่ทำด้วยกระจกสี mozaik đồ khảm 镶嵌图案
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. mosaico, la presencia en una persona de distintos tejidos adyacentes derivados de la misma célula como resultado de mutaciones.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012