muskrat(redirected from Musk rat)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Musk rat: Muskrat Trapping
n. pl. muskrat or musk·rats
1. A large semiaquatic rodent (Ondatra zibethicus) native to North America and naturalized in Eurasia, having a dense brown coat and musk glands under its long, scaly tail. Also called musquash, water rat.
2. The fur of this rodent.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -rats or -ratAlso called: musquash
1. (Animals) a North American beaver-like amphibious rodent, Ondatra zibethica, closely related to but larger than the voles: family Cricetidae
2. (Textiles) the brown fur of this animal
3. (Animals) either of two closely related rodents, Ondatra obscurus or Neofiber alleni (round-tailed muskrat)
[C17: by folk etymology, from the same source as musquash]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -rats, (esp. collectively) -rat.
1. either of two large, aquatic, North American cricetid rodents of the genus Ondatra.
2. its glossy, dark brown fur, used for coats, hats, trimming, etc.
[1680–90, Amer.; alter. of musquash < Massachusett]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||muskrat - the brown fur of a muskrat |
hudson seal - muskrat fur dressed to simulate sealskin
|2.||muskrat - beaver-like aquatic rodent of North America with dark glossy brown fur|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
muskrat[ˈmʌskˌræt] n (animal) → topo muschiato, ondatra; (fur) → rat musqué m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995