treaty(redirected from Mutual treaty)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. trea·ties
a. A formal written agreement between two or more nations.
b. The document in which such an agreement is set down.
2. Archaic Negotiation for the purpose of reaching an agreement.
a. A contract or agreement.
b. An entreaty.
[Middle English tretee, from Old French traite, from Latin tractātus, discussion, from past participle of tractāre, to drag about, deal with; see treat.]
n, pl -ties
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. a formal agreement or contract between two or more states, such as an alliance or trade arrangement
b. the document in which such a contract is written
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) any international agreement
3. any pact or agreement
4. (Commerce) an agreement between two parties concerning the purchase of property at a price privately agreed between them
5. archaic negotiation towards an agreement
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in Canada)
a. any of the formal agreements between Indian bands and the federal government by which the Indians surrender their land rights in return for various forms of aid
b. (as modifier): treaty Indians; treaty money.
7. an obsolete word for entreaty
[C14: from Old French traité, from Medieval Latin tractātus treaty, from Latin: discussion, from tractāre to manage; see treat]
n., pl. -ties.
1. a formal agreement between two or more states with reference to peace, alliance, commerce, or other international relations.
2. the formal document embodying such an international agreement.
3. any agreement or compact.
[1350–1400; Middle English trete < Anglo-French < Latin tractātus tractate]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||treaty - a written agreement between two states or sovereigns|
written agreement - a legal document summarizing the agreement between parties
alliance - a formal agreement establishing an association or alliance between nations or other groups to achieve a particular aim
commercial treaty - a treaty governing commerce between two or more nations
convention - (diplomacy) an international agreement
treaty[ˈtriːti] n → traité m
n → Vertrag m
treaty(ˈtriːti) – plural ˈtreaties – noun
a formal agreement between states or governments. They signed a peace treaty. verdrag مُعاهَدَه договор tratado smlouva der Vertrag traktat; -traktat συνθήκη, συμφωνίαtratado leping پیمان sopimus traitéחוזה, אמנה संधि ugovor (államközi) szerződés persetujuan milliríkjasamningur, sáttmáli trattato 協定 조약, 협정 sutartis līgums perjanjian verdragtraktat, paktukład عهد، وعده tratado tratat договор pogodba sporazum fördrag, avtal สนธิสัญญา antlaşma, pakt 條約 договір, угода معاہدہ hiệp ước 条约