myriad(redirected from Myriads)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.
1. Constituting a very large, indefinite number; innumerable: the myriad fish in the ocean.
2. Composed of numerous diverse elements or facets: the myriad life of the metropolis.
1. A large, indefinite number: a myriad of microorganisms in the pond; myriads of stars in the galaxy.
2. Archaic Ten thousand.
[Greek mūrias, mūriad-, ten thousand, from mūrios, countless.]
Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of reasons. In the 1800s, it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad dreams. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Myriad myriads of lives." This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, however, both uses are acceptable today.
1. (also used in plural) a large indefinite number
2. archaic ten thousand
[C16: via Late Latin from Greek murias ten thousand]
myr•i•ad(ˈmɪr i əd)
1. an indefinitely great number of persons or things.
2. ten thousand.adj.
3. of an indefinitely great number; innumerable.
4. having innumerable phases, aspects, variations, etc.
[1545–55; < Greek mȳriad-, s. of mȳriás ten thousand]
Myriada countless mumber of persons, animals, or things; specifically, a group of 10,000.
Examples: myriad eyes, 1830; of horses, 1803; of lambs, 1817; of lives, 1800; of men, 1555; of people, 1660; of precedent, 1860; of sundry cases, 1570.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||myriad - a large indefinite number; "he faced a myriad of details"|
|2.||myriad - the cardinal number that is the product of ten and one thousand|
large integer - an integer equal to or greater than ten
|Adj.||1.||myriad - too numerous to be counted; "incalculable riches"; "countless hours"; "an infinite number of reasons"; "innumerable difficulties"; "the multitudinous seas"; "myriad stars"; "untold thousands"|
innumerable, innumerous, multitudinous, numberless, uncounted, unnumberable, unnumbered, unnumerable, countless, infinite
incalculable - not capable of being computed or enumerated
lukematonlukematon määrälukuisamyriadisuunnaton määrä
een groot aantal