Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Greek Mythology A member of a warlike Thessalian people who were ruled by Achilles and followed him on the expedition against Troy.
2. myrmidon A faithful follower who carries out orders without question.
[From Middle English Mirmidones, Myrmidons, from Latin Myrmidones, from Greek Murmidones.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl Myrmidons or Myrmidones (mɜːˈmɪdəˌniːz)
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) Greek myth one of a race of people whom Zeus made from a nest of ants. They settled in Thessaly and were led against Troy by Achilles
2. (often not capital) a follower or henchman
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Myr•mi•don(ˈmɜr mɪˌdɒn, -dn)
n., pl. Myr•mi•dons, Myr•mid•o•nes (mɜrˈmɪd nˌiz)
1. a member of a legendary people of Thessaly, devoted followers of Achilles in the Trojan War.
2. (l.c.) a person who executes without question or scruple a master's commands.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin Myrmidones (pl.) < Greek Myrmidónes]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
a follower who obeys orders without question. — myrmidonian, adj.See also: Allegiance
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||myrmidon - a follower who carries out orders without question|
follower - a person who accepts the leadership of another
|2.||Myrmidon - (Greek mythology) a member of the warriors who followed Achilles on the expedition against Troy|
Greek mythology - the mythology of the ancient Greeks
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.