Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The upper part of a glacier where the snow turns into ice.
a. A snow field at the head of a glacier.
b. The granular snow typically found in such a field.
a nephew or grandsona spendthrift
1. (Geological Science) Also called: firn a mass of porous ice, formed from snow, that has not yet become frozen into glacier ice
2. (Geological Science) a snowfield at the head of a glacier that becomes transformed into ice
[C19: from Swiss French névé glacier, from Late Latin nivātus snow-cooled, from nix snow]
n., pl. -vés.
1. granular snow accumulated on high mountains and subsequently compacted into glacial ice.
2. a field of such snow. Also called firn.
[1850–55; < Franco-Provençal]