Nama(redirected from Namas)
Also found in: Acronyms.
n. pl. Nama or Na·mas
1. A member of a people of southwest Africa.
2. The Khoikhoi language of the Nama.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -ma, -mas, -qua or -quas
1. (Peoples) a member of a Khoikhoi people living chiefly in Namaqualand
2. (Languages) the Khoikhoi language spoken by this people, belonging to the Khoisan family. See also Damara
ˈNaman, Naˈmaquan n, adj
Usage: Nama is the generally accepted noun and adjective to refer to members of the Khoikhoi people
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Na•ma(ˈnɑ mɑ, -mə)
n., pl. Na•mas, (esp. collectively) Na•ma, Na•ma•qua (nəˈmɑ kwə)
1. a member of a Khoikhoi people of central and S Namibia.
2. the language of the Nama.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.