napoleon(redirected from Napoleone Buonaparte)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
na·po·le·on 1(nə-pō′lē-ən, -pōl′yən)
1. A 20-franc gold coin formerly used in France. Also called nap4.
2. Games See nap4.
[After Napoleon I.]
na·po·le·on 2(nə-pō′lē-ən, -pōl′yən)
A rectangular piece of pastry made with crisp, flaky layers filled with custard cream.
[Alteration (influenced by the name of Napoleon I) of French napolitain, flaky pastry made with almond paste and fruit jam, from napolitain, Neapolitan, of Naples, from Italian napoletano, from Napoli, Naples, Italy.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Currencies) a former French gold coin worth 20 francs bearing a portrait of either Napoleon I or Napoleon III
2. (Card Games) cards the full name for nap31
3. (Cookery) the US name for millefeuille
[C19: from French napoléon, after Napoleon I]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
na•po•le•on(nəˈpoʊ li ən, -ˈpoʊl yən)
1. a pastry made of thin layers of puff paste and custard or cream filling.
2. a former French gold coin equal to 20 francs.
[1805–15; < French napoléon]
Na•po•le•on(nəˈpoʊ li ən, -ˈpoʊl yən)
1. Napoleon I, (Napoleon Bonaparte) ( “the Little Corporal” ) 1769–1821, French general born in Corsica: emperor of France 1804–15.
2. Napoleon II, (François Charles Joseph Bonaparte) (Duke of Reichstadt) 1811–32, titular king of Rome (son of Napoleon I).
3. Napoleon III, (Louis Napoleon) (Charles Louis Napoléon Bonaparte) 1808–73, president of France 1848–52, emperor of France 1852–70 (nephew of Napoleon I).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Napoleon - French general who became emperor of the French (1769-1821)|
|2.||napoleon - a rectangular piece of pastry with thin flaky layers and filled with custard cream|
French pastry - sweet filled pastry made of especially puff paste
|3.||Napoleon - a card game similar to whist; usually played for stakes|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Napoleon[nəˈpəʊlɪən] N → Napoleón
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Napoleon m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Napoleon[nəˈpəʊlɪən] n → Napoleone m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995