Narragansett(redirected from Narragansett (disambiguation))
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Nar·ra·gan·sett 1also Nar·ra·gan·set (năr′ə-găn′sĭt)
n. pl. Narragansett or Nar·ra·gan·setts also Narraganset or Nar·ra·gan·sets
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting Rhode Island west of Narragansett Bay. The Narragansett were nearly exterminated during King Philip's War in 1675-1676.
2. The Algonquian language of the Narragansett.
[From a Narragansett place name.]
A Narragansett turkey.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n -sett or -setts
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people formerly living in Rhode Island
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Algonquian family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Nar•ra•gan•sett(ˌnær əˈgæn sɪt)
n., pl. -setts, (esp. collectively) -sett.
1. a member of an American Indian people of Rhode Island.
2. the extinct Eastern Algonquian language of the Narragansett.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.