turbinate(redirected from Nasal turbinates)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
adj. also tur·bi·nat·ed (-nā′tĭd)
1. Shaped like a top.
2. Spinning like a top.
3. Zoology Spiral and decreasing sharply in diameter from base to apex. Used especially of shells.
4. Anatomy Of, relating to, or designating a small curved bone that extends horizontally along the lateral wall of the nasal passage in mammals and birds.
Anatomy A turbinate bone.
[Latin turbinātus, from turbō, turbin-, spinning top; see turbine.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
turbinate(ˈtɜːbɪnɪt; -ˌneɪt) or
1. (Anatomy) anatomy of or relating to any of the thin scroll-shaped bones situated on the walls of the nasal passages
2. (Anatomy) shaped like a spiral or scroll
3. (Zoology) (esp of the shells of certain molluscs) shaped like an inverted cone
4. (Anatomy) Also called: nasal concha a turbinate bone
5. (Zoology) a turbinate shell
[C17: from Latin turbō spinning top]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
tur•bi•nate(ˈtɜr bə nɪt, -ˌneɪt)
adj. Also, tur′bi•nat`ed.
1. having the shape of an inverted cone; whorled; spiraled.
2. of or pertaining to certain scroll-like, spongy bones of the nasal passages.n.
3. a turbinate shell.
[1655–65; < Latin turbinātus shaped like a top =turbin-, s. of turbō a top (see turbine) + -ātus -ate1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||turbinate - any of the scrolled spongy bones of the nasal passages in man and other vertebrates|
nasal concha - one of several turbinate bones in the nasal cavity
|Adj.||1.||turbinate - of or relating to the scroll-shaped turbinate bones in the nasal passages|
|2.||turbinate - in the shape of a coil |
coiled - curled or wound (especially in concentric rings or spirals); "a coiled snake ready to strike"; "the rope lay coiled on the deck"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
turbinaten cornete m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.