Nassau(redirected from Nassau (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. (also nä′sou′) A region and former duchy of central Germany north and east of the Main and Rhine Rivers. The region became a duchy in 1806 and was absorbed by Prussia in 1866.
2. The capital and largest city of the Bahamas, on the northeast coast of New Providence Island in the Atlantic Ocean east of Miami, Florida. Settled in the 1600s, it was a haven for pirates in the 1700s.
1. (Placename) a region of W central Germany: formerly a duchy (1816–66), from which a branch of the House of Orange arose (represented by the present rulers of the Netherlands and Luxembourg); annexed to the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau in 1866; corresponds to present-day W Hesse and NE Rhineland-Palatinate states
2. (Placename) the capital and chief port of the Bahamas, on the NE coast of New Providence Island: resort. Pop: 229 000 (2005 est)
Nas•sau(ˈnæs ɔ; for 2,3, also ˈnɑ saʊ)
1. a seaport on New Providence Island: capital of the Bahamas. 132,000.
2. a former duchy in central Germany: now a part of Hesse.