Nazi(redirected from Nazis)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. Na·zis
1. A member of the National Socialist German Workers' Party, founded in Germany in 1919 and brought to power in 1933 under Adolf Hitler.
2. An adherent or advocate of policies characteristic of Nazism; a fascist.
3. often nazi Informal A severely intolerant or dictatorial person: food nazis who want to ban salt in restaurants.
1. Of, relating to, controlled by, or typical of the National Socialist German Workers' Party.
2. often nazi Informal Severely intolerant or dictatorial: loathed the nazi gym teacher.
[German, short for Nationalsozialist (the abbreviation being in part popularized by opponents of the Nazis, perhaps influenced by earlier German regional Nazi, awkward, clumsy person, from Nazi, Iggy, short for the name Ignatius), from Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, National Socialist German Workers' Party.]
Na′zi·fi·ca′tion (-sə-fĭ-kā′shən) n.
Na′zi·fy′ (-sə-fī′) v.
n, pl Nazis
1. (Historical Terms) a member of the fascist National Socialist German Workers' Party, which was founded in 1919 and seized political control in Germany in 1933 under Adolf Hitler
2. derogatory anyone who thinks or acts like a Nazi, esp showing racism, brutality, etc
(Historical Terms) of, characteristic of, or relating to the Nazis
[C20: from German, phonetic spelling of the first two syllables of Nationalsozialist National Socialist]
Nazism, Naziism n
Na•zi(ˈnɑt si, ˈnæt-)
n., pl. -zis,
1. a member of the National Socialist German Workers' Party, which controlled Germany from 1933 to 1945 under Adolf Hitler and advocated totalitarian government, territorial expansion, anti-Semitism, and Aryan supremacy, all these leading directly to World War II and the Holocaust.
2. (often l.c.) a person elsewhere who holds similar views.
3. (often l.c.) Sometimes Offensive. a person who is fanatically dedicated to or seeks to control a specified activity, practice, etc.: a jazz nazi who disdains other forms of music; a body Nazi who works out four hours a day.adj.
4. of or pertaining to the Nazis.
[1925–30; < German Nazi, short for Nationalsozialist National Socialist]
Na′zism (-sɪz əm) Na′zi•ism, n.
usage.: Definition 4 of Nazi has existed at least since 1980 and parallels other words such as police (def. 6), as in thought police, and cop2 (def. 2), as in language cops. Though this use is usually intended as jocular, it is sometimes used intentionally to denigrate an opposing point of view. However, many people find these uses offensive, feeling that they trivialize the terrible crimes of the Nazis of Germany.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nazi - a German member of Adolf Hitler's political party|
Brownshirt - a member of the Nazi SA which wore brown uniforms
fascist - an adherent of fascism or other right-wing authoritarian views
storm trooper - a member of the Nazi SA
|2.||nazi - derogatory term for a person who is fanatically dedicated to, or seeks to control, some activity, practice, etc.|
|Adj.||1.||Nazi - relating to or consistent with or typical of the ideology and practice of Nazism or the Nazis; "the total Nazi crime"; "the Nazi interpretation of history"|
|2.||Nazi - relating to a form of socialism; "the national socialist party came to power in Germany in 1933"|