Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Negro: Martin Luther King
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
n. pl. Ne·groes Often Offensive
1. A black person.
2. A member of the Negroid race. Not in scientific use.
[Spanish and Portuguese negro, black, black person, from Latin niger, nigr-, black; see nekw-t- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -groes
(Peoples) a member of any of the dark-skinned indigenous peoples of Africa and their descendants elsewhere
(Peoples) relating to or characteristic of Negroes
[C16: from Spanish or Portuguese: black, from Latin niger black]
1. (Placename) a river in NW South America, rising in E Colombia (as the Guainía) and flowing east, then south as part of the border between Colombia and Venezuela, entering Brazil and continuing southeast to join the Amazon at Manáus. Length: about 2250 km (1400 miles)
2. (Placename) a river in S central Argentina, formed by the confluence of the Neuquén and Limay Rivers and flowing east and southeast to the Atlantic. Length: about 1014 km (630 miles)
3. (Placename) a river in central Uruguay, rising in S Brazil and flowing southwest into the Uruguay River. Length: about 467 km (290 miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -groes,
adj. Older Use: Sometimes Offensive. n.
1. a member of any of the indigenous peoples of sub-Saharan Africa, or one of their descendants.adj.
2. of or designating Negroes.
[1545–55; < Sp and Portuguese negro black < Latin nigrum, masculine acc. of niger black]
usage: See black.
Ne•gro2(ˈneɪ groʊ; Sp. ˈnɛ grɔ)
; Port. ne′gro͝o),
1. a river in NW South America, flowing SE from Colombia into the Amazon. 1400 mi. (2255 km) long.
2. a river in S Argentina, flowing E from the Andes to the Atlantic. 700 mi. (1125 km) long.
3. a river in SE South America, flowing SW from Brazil into the Uruguay River. ab. 500 mi. (800 km) long.Portuguese, Rio Negro. Spanish, Río Negro.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Negro - a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Negress - a Black woman or girl
Black man - a man who is Black
Black woman - a woman who is Black
Tom, Uncle Tom - (ethnic slur) offensive and derogatory name for a Black man who is abjectly servile and deferential to Whites
|Adj.||1.||negro - relating to or characteristic of or being a member of the traditional racial division of mankind having brown to black pigmentation and tightly curled hair|
black - of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin; "a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
زِنْجي، رَجُل أسْوَد
Negro[ˈniːgrəʊ] (pej in US)
A. ADJ → negro
B. N (Negroes (pl)) → negro m
C. Negro spiritual N → espiritual m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Negro[ˈniːgrəʊ] [Negroes] (pl) (old-fashioned)
n → Noir(e) m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
1. adj → negro/a
2. n (-es (pl)) → negro/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Negro(ˈniːgrəu) – feminine ˈNegress: plural ˈNegroes – noun
a name for a person belonging to or descended from the black-skinned race from the area of Africa south of the Sahara. Neger زِنْجي، رَجُل أسْوَد негър negro černoch der Neger neger νέγροςnegro; negra neeger سیاه پوست neekeri Noir, Noire כושי हब्शी crnac néger Negro svertingi negro 黒人 (특히 아프리카의) 흑인 negras nēģeris orang kulit hitam neger neger/negresse Murzyn تور پوستى negro негр černoch, -ška črnec crnac neger คนนิโกร zenci 黑人 негр حبشي người da đen 黑人
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.