adjuvant(redirected from Neoadjuvant therapy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Neoadjuvant therapy: Integrative Medicine
1. A treatment that enhances an existing medical regimen, as a pharmacological agent added to a drug to increase or aid its effect.
2. An immunological agent that increases the antigenic response.
Contributing to or enhancing an existing medical regimen: adjuvant chemotherapy
[From Latin adiuvāns, adiuvant-, present participle of adiuvāre, to help; see aid.]
aiding or assisting
1. something that aids or assists; auxiliary
2. (Pharmacology) med a drug or other substance that enhances the activity of another
3. (Medicine) immunol a substance that enhances the immune response stimulated by an antigen when injected with the antigen
[C17: from Latin adjuvāns, present participle of adjuvāre, from juvāre to help]
ad•ju•vant(ˈædʒ ə vənt)
1. serving to help or assist; auxiliary.
2. utilizing drugs, radiation therapy, or other means of supplementary treatment following cancer surgery.n.
3. a person or thing that aids or assists.
4. anything that aids in removing or preventing a disease, esp. a substance added to a prescription to aid the effect of the main ingredient.
5. a substance admixed with an immunogen in order to elicit a more marked immune response.
[1600–10; < Latin adjuvant-, s. of adjuvāns, present participle of adjuvāre to help; see adjutant]
Medicine. a substance added to a medicinal preparation to assist the action of the principal ingredient.See also: Drugs
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||adjuvant - an additive that enhances the effectiveness of medical treatment|
additive - something added to enhance food or gasoline or paint or medicine
|Adj.||1.||adjuvant - furnishing added support; "an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxiliary to each other"|
supportive - furnishing support or assistance; "a supportive family network"; "his family was supportive of his attempts to be a writer"
|2.||adjuvant - enhancing the action of a medical treatment; "the adjuvant action of certain bacteria"|
materia medica, pharmacological medicine, pharmacology - the science or study of drugs: their preparation and properties and uses and effects
helpful - providing assistance or serving a useful function