mnemonic(redirected from Neumonic device)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Relating to, assisting, or intended to assist the memory.
A device, such as a formula or rhyme, used as an aid in remembering.
1. aiding or meant to aid one's memory
2. (Education) of or relating to memory or mnemonics
something, such as a verse, to assist memory
[C18: from Greek mnēmonikos, from mnēmōn mindful, from mnasthai to remember]
1. assisting or intended to assist the memory.
2. pertaining to mnemonics or to memory.n.
3. something intended to assist the memory, as a verse or formula.
4. a symbol, acronym, or other short form used as a computer code or function, as in programming.
[1745–55; < Greek mnēmonikós of memory =mnēmon- mindful + -ikos -ic]
pron: mnemonic is frequently pronounced (in the computer field as nuˈmɒn ɪk, nyu-) as if the first syllable were new.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mnemonic - a device (such as a rhyme or acronym) used to aid recall|
|Adj.||1.||mnemonic - of or relating to or involved the practice of aiding the memory; "mnemonic device"|