Also found in: Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to New Age: New Age music
1. Of or relating to a complex of spiritual and consciousness-raising movements originating in the 1970s and covering a range of themes from a belief in spiritualism and reincarnation to advocacy of holistic approaches to health and ecology.
2. Of, relating to, or resembling New Age music.
A style of modern music characterized by a relaxing or dreamy texture derived from quiet harmonies and drones, often incorporating synthesizers and acoustic and ethnic instrumentation.
New Ager n.
New′-Ag′ey (-ā′jē) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. a philosophy, originating in the late 1980s, characterized by a belief in alternative medicine, astrology, spiritualism, etc
b. (as modifier): New Age therapies.
2. (Pop Music) short for New Age music
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to a movement espousing a broad range of philosophies and practices traditionally viewed as occult, metaphysical, or paranormal.
2. of or pertaining to an unintrusive style of music using both acoustic and electronic instruments and drawing on classical music, jazz, and rock.n.
3. the New Age movement.
New′ Ag′er, n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An interrelated set of philosophical and spiritual beliefs becoming more widespread since the 1980s. Important elements are spiritualism, belief in reincarnation, alternative healing, and astrology.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
New Ageadj & n → New Age (f) inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995