Niagara Falls(redirected from Niagra Falls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Niagara Falls 1
Waterfalls north-northwest of Buffalo, New York, consisting of the American Falls, about 260 m (850 ft) wide, and the Canadian, or Horseshoe, Falls, about 670 m (2,200 ft) wide. They are located in the Niagara River, a waterway flowing about 55 km (35 mi) north from Lake Erie to Lake Ontario along the United States-Canada border.
Niagara Falls 2
1. A city of western New York on the falls of the Niagara River north-northwest of Buffalo. It was settled in the early 1800s after the Americans gained control of Fort Niagara, a strategic garrison at the mouth of the river. The city grew as a tourist destination and is the site of the first commercial hydroelectric plant (1896).
2. A city of southeast Ontario, Canada, on the Niagara River opposite Niagara Falls, New York.
1. (Placename) (functioning as plural) the falls of the Niagara River, on the border between the US and Canada between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario: divided by Goat Island into the American Falls, 50 m (167 ft) high and approximately 300 m (985 ft) wide, and the Horseshoe or Canadian Falls, 47 m (158 ft) high and by some estimates well over 800 m (2625 ft) wide
2. (Placename) (functioning as singular) a city in W New York State, situated at the falls of the Niagara River. Pop: 78 815 (2001)
3. (Placename) (functioning as singular) a city in S Canada, in SE Ontario on the Niagara River just below the falls: linked to the city of Niagara Falls in the US by three bridges. Pop: 78 815 (2001)
1. the falls of the Niagara River: in Canada, the Horseshoe Falls, 158 ft. (48 m) high; 2600 ft. (792 m) wide; in the U.S., American Falls, 167 ft. (51 m) high; 1000 ft. (305 m) wide.
2. a city in W New York, on the falls. 62,640.
3. a city in SE Ontario, on the falls. 72,107.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Niagara Falls - waterfall in Canada is the Horseshoe Falls; in the United States it is the American Falls|
Ontario - a prosperous and industrialized province in central Canada
American Falls - a part of Niagara Falls in western New York (north of Buffalo)
|2.||Niagara Falls - a city in western New York State at the falls of the Niagara river; tourist attraction and honeymoon resort|