Niger(redirected from Niger Republic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A country of west-central Africa. The Tuareg and Hausa established states in the late Middle Ages, and the region was dominated by the Songhai and Bornu empires in the 1500s. Niger came under the French sphere of influence after the Conference of Berlin (1884-1885) and was made a separate colony within French West Africa in 1922. It achieved independence in 1960. Niamey is the capital and the largest city.
Ni′ger·i·en n. & adj.
A plant (Guizotia abyssinica) of the composite family native to northeast Africa, having yellow flower heads and grown for its oil-rich seeds, often used for birdseed.
[From earlier niger seed, probably after the Niger River in West Africa, where it is widely grown.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a landlocked republic in West Africa: important since earliest times for its trans-Saharan trade routes; made a French colony in 1922 and became fully independent in 1960; exports peanuts and livestock. Official language: French. Religion: Muslim majority. Currency: franc. Capital: Niamey. Pop: 16 899 327 (2013 est). Area: 1 267 000 sq km (489 000 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a river in West Africa, rising in S Guinea and flowing in a great northward curve through Mali, then southwest through Niger and Nigeria to the Gulf of Guinea: the third longest river in Africa, with the largest delta, covering an area of 36 260 sq km (14 000 sq miles). Length: 4184 km (2600 miles)
3. (Placename) a state of W central Nigeria. Capital: Minna. Pop: 3 950 249 (2006). Area: 76 363 sq km (29 476 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ni•ger(ˈnaɪ dʒər, niˈʒɛər)
1. a republic in NW Africa: formerly part of French West Africa. 9,962,242; 489,141 sq. mi. (1,267,000 sq. km). Cap.: Niamey.
2. a river in W Africa, rising in S Guinea and flowing into the Gulf of Guinea. 2600 mi. (4185 km) long.
Ni•ge•ri•en (naɪˌdʒɪər iˈɛn) adj., n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Niger - an African river; flows into the South Atlantic|
Benin, Dahomey, Republic of Benin - a country on western coast of Africa; formerly under French control
French Guinea, Republic of Guinea, Guinea - a republic in western Africa on the Atlantic; formerly a French colony; achieved independence from France in 1958
French Sudan, Mali, Republic of Mali - a landlocked republic in northwestern Africa; achieved independence from France in 1960; Mali was a center of West African civilization for more than 4,000 years
Republic of Niger, Niger - a landlocked republic in West Africa; gained independence from France in 1960; most of the country is dominated by the Sahara Desert
|2.||Niger - a landlocked republic in West Africa; gained independence from France in 1960; most of the country is dominated by the Sahara Desert|
Africa - the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
Nigerien - a native or inhabitant of Niger
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Niger[ˈnaɪdʒəʳ] N (= country, river) → Níger m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Niger m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Niger[ˈnaɪdʒə] n (country, river) → il Niger m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Niger→ الْنَيّجَرُ Niger Niger Niger Νίγηρας Níger Niger Niger Niger Niger ニジェール 니제르 Niger Niger Niger Níger Нигер Niger ไนเจอร์ Nijer nước Niger 尼日尔
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009