Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to the Nile or the Nile Valley.
2. Of or relating to the peoples who speak Nilotic languages.
A large group of Nilo-Saharan languages, spoken in South Sudan, Uganda, Kenya, and northern Tanzania and including Masai.
[Latin Nīlōticus, from Nīlōtis, from Greek Neilōtis, from Neilos, Nile.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to the Nile
2. (Peoples) of, relating to, or belonging to a tall Negroid pastoral people inhabiting South Sudan, parts of Kenya and Uganda, and neighbouring countries
3. (Languages) relating to or belonging to the group of languages spoken by the Nilotic peoples
(Languages) a group of languages of E Africa, including Luo, Dinka, and Masai, now generally regarded as belonging to the Chari-Nile branch of the Nilo-Saharan family
[C17: via Latin from Greek Neilotikós, from Neilos the Nile]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to the Nile River, or the peoples of the Nile River valley.
2. of or pertaining to the Nilotes or their languages.n.
3. the group of languages spoken by the Nilotes.
[1645–55; < Latin Nīlōticus of the Nile]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Nilotic - a group of languages of East Africa belonging to the Chari-Nile group|
Chari-Nile - a group of Nilo-Saharan language spoken in parts of the Sudan and Zaire and Uganda and Tanzania
Dinka - a Nilotic language
Luo - a Nilotic language
Masai - a Nilotic language
|Adj.||1.||Nilotic - of or relating to the Nile River or the people living near it|
|2.||Nilotic - of or relating to or constituting the Nilotic group of languages; "Nilotic syntax"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.