Nimrod(redirected from Nimrodic)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
In the Bible, a mighty hunter and king of Shinar who was a grandson of Ham and a great-grandson of Noah.
1. also Nimrod A hunter.
2. Informal A person regarded as silly, foolish, or stupid.
[After Nimrod. Sense 2, probably from the phrase "poor little Nimrod," used by the cartoon character Bugs Bunny to mock the hapless hunter Elmer Fudd.]
1. (Bible) Old Testament a hunter, who was famous for his prowess (Genesis 10:8–9). Douay spelling: Nemrod
2. a person who is dedicated to or skilled in hunting
Nimˈrodian, Nimˈrodic adj
1. the great-grandson of Noah: noted as a hunter. Gen. 10:8–10.
2. (sometimes l.c.) a skilled hunter.