References in periodicals archive ?
Issie heard him murmur in remonstration: 'Wer Tiere qualt ist ein Unmensch.' The wasp-torturers paid no attention, regarding the cook as a non-person. Their hands grabbed for hunks of succulent chocolate cake.
They were non-persons. ("Non-person: A non-existent person" ndash World Book Dictionary).
Except for the "Significant" other, it generally takes on negative definition (Mead, 1934.) Non-person is part of the Other cluster.
Websites affiliated with former President Mahmud Ahmadinejad have been blocked, as the Islamic Republic's establishment appears to be aiming to make him into a non-person, as it did a few years ago to former President Mohammad Khatami.
China's contradictions are huge and growing; it's a society grappling with modernity, but in which ritual remains core to many lives; which is settling into a role as a global power, but in which anyone can become a 'non-person' if political lines are unwisely crossed.
What if a pregnant woman changes her mind about the value of the unborn--does the child transform from non-person to person and back to non-person again?
For many families, a dog is the most important "non-person" member but a lack of training and leadership can turn a fun little ball of fur into an ill tempered and ill mannered nuisance (or worse) and a liability for the owner.
He said: "I was warned when I did it that I'd be considered a non-person and I suppose that is true.
Separation: Fear of rejection, of becoming a non-person. This powerful fear explains why people go along with a group that threatens to ostracize them if they don't.
A child was a 'non-person' totally dependent on others for nurture and protection." To receive a child, then, is to welcome the lowliest in our society.
So, even if you've spent your adult life working for the poor, broken and under-privileged, campaigned tirelessly for the Liberal Party and pursued all of its policies, you have been told by the leader of your party that you cannot and must not run for the Liberals and that you are suddenly a non-person; rather like an unborn child in a way.
Dictionary browser ?
- nonpasserine bird
- nonpersistent agent
Full browser ?
- Non-Peptidic Protease Inhibitor
- Non-per-Capita Conservation Program
- Non-Performance of Duty Because Imprisoned
- Non-Performance Risk
- Non-Performing Asset
- Non-Performing Asset Ratio
- Non-Performing Assets
- Non-Performing Assets Recovery Trust
- Non-Performing Debt
- Non-Performing Debts
- Non-performing loan
- Non-Performing Loan Ratio
- Non-Performing Loans
- Non-Performing Note
- non-perfused brain
- Non-Permanent Active Militia
- Non-Permanent Change
- Non-Permanent Employee
- Non-Permanent Resident
- Non-Permanent Resident Alien
- Non-Permanent Resident Alien
- Non-Permissive Environment
- Non-Permit Confined Space
- Non-Persistent Carrier-Sense Multiple Access
- Non-Person Entity
- Non-Personal Information
- Non-Personal Services
- Non-Personally Identifiable Information
- Non-Personnel Expenditure/Expense
- Non-Personnel Non-Capital
- Non-Perturbative Renormalization Group
- Non-Petroleum Based Fuels
- Non-Pharmaceutical Intervention
- Non-Pharmacological Treatment of Hypertension
- Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering
- Non-photorealistic rendering
- Non-Physician Health Care Practitioner
- Non-Physician Practitioner
- Non-Physician Work Pool
- Non-Pigmented Ciliary Epithelial
- Non-Pigmented Ciliary Epithelium
- Non-Pioneer Light Demander
- non-PKU hyperphenylalaninemia
- non-plaque-induced gingivitis
- Non-Plasma Particle Cleaning
- Non-Plated Through-Hole
- Non-Playable Characters
- Non-player character
- Non-Player Killer
- Non-Playing Captain
- Non-Playing Computer
- Non-Pneumatic Anti-Shock Garment