unconformity(redirected from Noncomformity)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
n. pl. un·con·for·mi·ties
1. Lack of conformity; nonconformity.
2. Geology A surface between successive strata representing a missing interval in the geologic record of time, and produced either by an interruption in deposition or by the erosion of depositionally continuous strata followed by renewed deposition.
n, pl -ties
1. lack of conformity
2. (Geological Science) the contact surface between younger and older rocks representing a discontinuity in the geological record. Most commonly it represents an erosional surface
un•con•form•i•ty(ˌʌn kənˈfɔr mɪ ti)
n., pl. -ties.
1. lack of conformity; incongruity; inconsistency.
2. Geol. a discontinuity in a stratigraphic sequence.
A level where sedimentary rocks cover an older rock surface partly removed by erosion. The level marks a time gap.