Neuchâtel(redirected from Nuechatel)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
Neu·châ·tel(no͞o′shə-tĕl′, nyo͞o′-, nœ-shä-), Lake of
A narrow lake of northwest Switzerland near the French border. It is in a picturesque region with notable vineyards.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nGerman name (for senses 1, 2): Neuenburg
1. (Placename) a canton in the Jura Mountains of W Switzerland. Capital: Neuchâtel. Pop: 167 000 (2002 est). Area: 798 sq km (308 sq miles)
2. (Placename) a town in W Switzerland, capital of Neuchâtel canton, on Lake Neuchâtel: until 1848 the seat of the last hereditary rulers in Switzerland. Pop: 32 914 (2000)
3. (Placename) Lake Neuchâtel a lake in W Switzerland: the largest lake wholly in Switzerland. Area: 216 sq km (83 sq miles)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Neu•châ•tel(ˌnu ʃəˈtɛl, ˌnyu-, ˌnœ-)
1. a canton in W Switzerland. 165,258; 309 sq. mi. (800 sq. km).
2. the capital of this canton, on the Lake of Neuchâtel. 32,670.
3. Lake of, a lake in W Switzerland. 85 sq. mi. (220 sq. km). German, Neu•en•burg (ˈnɔɪ ənˌbʊrk)
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.