pi(redirected from Numeric pi)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. (also pē) The 16th letter of the Greek alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
2. Mathematics A transcendental number, approximately 3.14159, represented by the symbol π, that expresses the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle and appears as a constant in many mathematical expressions.
pi 2also pie (pī)Printing
n. pl. pis also pies
An amount of type that has been jumbled or thrown together at random.
v. pied (pīd), pi·ing, pies also pied, pie·ing, pies
To jumble or mix up (type).
To become jumbled.
n, pl pis
1. (Letters of the Alphabet (Foreign)) the 16th letter in the Greek alphabet (Π, π), a consonant, transliterated as p
2. (Mathematics) maths a transcendental number, fundamental to mathematics, that is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. Approximate value: 3.141 592…; symbol: π
[C18 (mathematical use): representing the first letter of Greek periphereia periphery]
n, pl pies
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a jumbled pile of printer's type
2. a jumbled mixture
vb (tr) , pies, piing, pied, pies, pieing or pied
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) to spill and mix (set type) indiscriminately
4. to mix up
[C17: of uncertain origin]
1. (Placename) Philippine Islands
2. (Law) private investigator
n., pl. pis.
1. the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet (Π, π).
a. the letter π, used as the symbol for the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter.
b. the ratio itself: 3.14159 +.
[1835–45; < Greek pî, peî; used in math to represent Greek periphérion periphery]
n., pl. pies, n.
1. printing type mixed together indiscriminately.
2. any confused mixture; jumble.v.t.
3. to jumble (printing type).
4. to mix up; jumble.
[1650–60; orig. uncertain]
An irrational number that has a numerical value of 3.14159265359... and is represented by the symbol π. It expresses the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle and appears as a constant in many mathematical expressions.
Past participle: pied
(") Symbol and name representing the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. Its value is approximately 3.14.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pi - the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle; approximately equal to 3.14159265358979323846...|
transcendental number - an irrational number that is not algebraic
|2.||PI - someone who can be employed as a detective to collect information|
detective - an investigator engaged or employed in obtaining information not easily available to the public
hotel detective, house detective, house dick - a private detective employed by a hotel or retail store
inquiry agent - a private detective
store detective - a private detective employed by a merchant to stop pilferage
|3.||PI - the scientist in charge of an experiment or research project|
scientist - a person with advanced knowledge of one or more sciences
|4.||pi - the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet|
Greek alphabet - the alphabet used by ancient Greeks
|5.||PI - an antiviral drug used against HIV; interrupts HIV replication by binding and blocking HIV protease; often used in combination with other drugs|
drug cocktail, HAART, highly active antiretroviral therapy - a combination of protease inhibitors taken with reverse transcriptase inhibitors; used in treating AIDS and HIV
nelfinavir, Viracept - a protease inhibitor (trade name Viracept) used in treating HIV usually in combination with other drugs