nux vomica(redirected from Nyassa)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Nyassa: Nyasa
nux vom·i·ca(nŭks vŏm′ĭ-kə)
1. A tree (Strychnos nux-vomica) native to South and Southeast Asia, having poisonous seeds that are a source of the alkaloids strychnine and brucine.
2. The seeds of this tree or a preparation or extract made from them.
[Medieval Latin : Latin nux, nut + Medieval Latin vomica, feminine of vomicus, emetic (from Latin vomere, to vomit; see wemə- in Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nux vomica(ˈnʌks ˈvɒmɪkə)
1. (Plants) an Indian spiny loganiaceous tree, Strychnos nux-vomica, with orange-red berries containing poisonous seeds
2. (Plants) any of the seeds of this tree, which contain strychnine and other poisonous alkaloids
3. (Pharmacology) a medicine manufactured from the seeds of this tree, formerly used as a heart stimulant
[C16: from Medieval Latin: vomiting nut]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
nux vom•i•ca(ˈnʌks ˈvɒm ɪ kə)
1. the poisonous seed of the orangelike fruit of an East Indian tree, Strychnos nux-vomica, of the logania family, containing strychnine.
2. the tree itself.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||nux vomica - a medicine made from the seeds of an Asiatic tree; contains strychnine and brucine; formerly used as a stimulant|
medicament, medication, medicinal drug, medicine - (medicine) something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease
strychnine - an alkaloid plant toxin extracted chiefly from nux vomica; formerly used as a stimulant
brucine - a bitter alkaloid poison resembling strychnine and extracted from nux vomica
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.