Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Odor Odd (ŏd)
Used as a mild oath.
[Alteration of God.]
OD 1(ō′dē′) Slang
intr.v. OD'ed, OD'·ing, OD's
1. To take an overdose: OD'ed on barbiturates.
2. To have or experience too much of something; overindulge: OD'ed on ice cream.
1. An overdose of a drug.
2. One who has taken an overdose.
1. Doctor of Optometry
2. officer of the day
3. outer diameter
4. also o/d overdraft
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
od(ɒd; əʊd) ,
(General Physics) archaic a hypothetical force formerly thought to be responsible for many natural phenomena, such as magnetism, light, and hypnotism
[C19: coined arbitrarily by Baron Karl von Reichenbach (1788–1869), German scientist]
euphemistic (used in mild oaths) an archaic word for God
(Medicine) an overdose of a drug
vb, OD's, OD'ing or OD'd
(Medicine) (intr) to take an overdose of a drug
[C20: from o(ver)d(ose)]
1. (Military) Officer of the Day
2. (Languages) Old Dutch
3. (Surveying) ordnance datum
4. (General Engineering) outside diameter
5. (Colours) military Also: o.d. olive drab
6. (Banking & Finance) banking
a. on demand
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or 'Od or Odd(ɒd)
Archaic. a shortened form of “God” (used in oaths).
n., pl. ODs or OD's, n.
1. an overdose of a drug, esp. a fatal one.
2. a person who has become seriously ill or has died from a drug overdose.v.i.
3. to take a drug overdose.
4. to die from a drug overdose.
5. to have or take too much of something.
1. on demand.
2. outside diameter.
3. outside dimensions.
1. Doctor of Optometry.
2. (in prescriptions) the right eye.
[< Latin oculus dexter]
3. officer of the day.
4. (of a military uniform) olive drab.
5. ordinary seaman.
6. outside diameter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: OD'd
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||OD - a doctor's degree in optometry|
|2.||OD - the right eye|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
OD2 [əʊˈdiː] =overdose
A. N → sobredosis f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Überdosis f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007