orb(redirected from Object request broker)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Object request broker: Corba
1. A sphere or spherical object.
a. A celestial body, such as the sun or moon.
b. Archaic The earth.
3. One of a series of concentric transparent spheres thought by ancient and medieval astronomers to rotate about the earth and carry the celestial bodies.
4. A globe surmounted by a cross, used as a symbol of monarchial power and justice.
5. An eye or eyeball.
6. Archaic Something of circular form; a circle or orbit.
v. orbed, orb·ing, orbs
1. To shape into a circle or sphere.
2. Archaic To encircle; enclose.
To move in an orbit.
1. (Heraldry) (in royal regalia) an ornamental sphere surmounted by a cross, representing the power of a sovereign
2. a sphere; globe
3. poetic another word for eye1
4. (Astronomy) obsolete or poetic
a. a celestial body, esp the earth or sun
b. the orbit of a celestial body
5. an archaic word for circle
6. to make or become circular or spherical
7. (tr) an archaic word for encircle
[C16: from Latin orbis circle, disc]
1. a sphere or globe.
2. the eyeball or eye.
3. any of the heavenly bodies.
4. a sphere bearing a cross as emblem of sovereignty and justice.
5. any of the hollow concentric spheres that in pre-Copernican astronomy were thought to surround the earth and carry the planets and stars.
a. a circle or something circular.
b. the earth.
7. to form into a circle or sphere.
8. Archaic. to encircle; enclose.v.i.
9. to move in an orbit.
[1520–30; < Latin orbis circle, disk, orb]
Orba collective whole; a circle of things or people. See also ball, globe, sphere.
Examples: orb of order and form, 1603; of soldiers; of witnesses, 1866.
Past participle: orbed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||orb - the ball-shaped capsule containing the vertebrate eye|
capsule - a structure that encloses a body part
|2.||orb - an object with a spherical shape; "a ball of fire"|
crystal ball - a glass or crystal globe used in crystal gazing by fortunetellers
camphor ball, mothball - a small sphere of camphor or naphthalene used to keep moths away from stored clothing
time-ball - a ball that slides down a staff to show a fixed time; especially at an observatory
fireball - the luminous center of a nuclear explosion
fireball - a ball of fire (such as the sun or a ball-shaped discharge of lightning)
globule - a small globe or ball
sphere - a solid figure bounded by a spherical surface (including the space it encloses)
spherule - a small sphere
pellet - a small sphere
bolus - a small round soft mass (as of chewed food)
|Verb||1.||orb - move in an orbit; "The moon orbits around the Earth"; "The planets are orbiting the sun"; "electrons orbit the nucleus"|
retrograde - move backward in an orbit, of celestial bodies