occupancy(redirected from Occupancy permit)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. oc·cu·pan·cies
a. The act of occupying or the condition of being occupied.
b. The state of being an occupant or tenant.
a. The period during which one owns, rents, or uses certain premises or land.
b. The use to which something occupied is put: a building for commercial occupancy.
3. Law The act of taking possession of previously unowned property with the intent of obtaining the right to own it.
n, pl -cies
1. the act of occupying; possession of a property
2. (Law) law the possession and use of property by or without agreement and without any claim to ownership
3. (Law) law the act of taking possession of unowned property, esp land, with the intent of thus acquiring ownership
4. the condition or fact of being an occupant, esp a tenant
5. the period of time during which one is an occupant, esp of property
oc•cu•pan•cy(ˈɒk yə pən si)
n., pl. -cies.
1. the act, state, or condition of being or becoming a tenant or of living in or taking up quarters or space in or on something.
2. the possession or tenancy of a property.
3. the act of taking possession, as of a property.
4. the term during which one is an occupant.
5. the condition of being occupied.
6. the use to which property is put.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||occupancy - an act of being a tenant or occupant|
|2.||occupancy - the act of occupying or taking possession of a building; "occupation of a building without a certificate of occupancy is illegal"|
acquiring, getting - the act of acquiring something; "I envied his talent for acquiring"; "he's much more interested in the getting than in the giving"