caliper(redirected from Odd-leg calipers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Odd-leg calipers: Vernier callipers
left to right: spring and inside
cal·i·peralso cal·li·per (kăl′ə-pər)
1. often calipers An instrument consisting of two hinged legs, used to measure thickness and distances.
2. A large instrument having a fixed and a movable arm on a graduated stock, used for measuring the diameters of logs and similar objects.
3. A vernier caliper.
a. The assembly housing the brake pads in a disc brake.
b. The assembly in certain bicycle brakes that forces the brake pads against the wheel rim.
[Alteration of caliber.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Tools) the usual US spelling of calliper
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
art at Caligula
or cal•li•per(ˈkæl ə pər)
1. Usu., calipers. an instrument for measuring thicknesses and diameters, consisting usu. of a pair of adjustable pivoted legs.
2. a calibrated instrument for measuring thickness or distances between surfaces, usu. having a screwed or sliding adjustable piece.
3. thickness or depth, as of paper or a tree.
4. the part of a disc-brake assembly that presses the brake pads against the disc.v.t.
5. to measure with calipers.
[1580–90; presumably alter. of caliber]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
An instrument consisting of two curved, hinged legs, used to measure thickness and distance. Often used in the plural as calipers.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Past participle: calipered
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||caliper - an instrument for measuring the distance between two points (often used in the plural)|
inside caliper - caliper for measuring inside dimensions (the size of a cavity or hole); points on its legs curve outward
measuring device, measuring instrument, measuring system - instrument that shows the extent or amount or quantity or degree of something
odd-leg caliper - caliper having the points on its legs both curve in the same direction
outside caliper - caliper for measuring outside dimensions; points on its legs curve inward
|Verb||1.||caliper - measure the diameter of something with calipers|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.