ogive(redirected from Ogives)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Ogives: frequency polygon
a. A distribution curve in which the frequencies are cumulative.
b. A frequency distribution.
a. A diagonal rib of a Gothic vault.
b. A pointed arch.
[Middle English ogif and French ogive, diagonal rib of a vault, both from Old French augive, probably from Vulgar Latin *obviātīva, from Late Latin obviāta, feminine past participle of obviāre, to resist; see obviate.]
1. (Architecture) a diagonal rib or groin of a Gothic vault
2. (Architecture) another name for lancet arch
3. (Statistics) statistics a graph the ordinates of which represent cumulative frequencies of the values indicated by the corresponding abscissas
4. (Astronautics) the conical head of a missile or rocket that protects the payload during its passage through the atmosphere
[C17: from Old French, of uncertain origin]
o•give(ˈoʊ dʒaɪv, oʊˈdʒaɪv)
a. a pointed arch.
b. a diagonal rib of a vault.
2. the distribution curve of a statistical frequency distribution.
[1605–15; < French, Middle French ogive, augive < Sp aljibe < Spanish Arabic al-jibb the well]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ogive - front consisting of the conical head of a missile or rocket that protects the payload from heat during its passage through the atmosphere|
front - the side that is seen or that goes first
heat shield - a protective covering that protects a spacecraft from overheating on reentry