Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
O·jib·wa(ō-jĭb′wā′, -wə) also O·jib·way (-wā′) or O·jib·we (-wĕ)
n. pl. Ojibwa or O·jib·was also Ojibway or O·jib·ways or Ojibwe or O·jib·wes
1. A member of a Native American people originally located north of Lake Huron before moving westward in the 1600s and 1700s into Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, western Ontario, and Manitoba, with later migrations onto the northern Great Plains in North Dakota, Montana, and Saskatchewan.
2. The Algonquian language of the Ojibwa. In both senses also called Chippewa.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -was or -waAlso: Chippewa
1. (Peoples) a member of a North American Indian people living in a region west of Lake Superior
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Algonquian family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
O•jib•wa(oʊˈdʒɪb weɪ, -wə)
n., pl. -was also -ways, (esp. collectively) -wa also -way.
1. a member of an American Indian people of Canada and the U.S., living principally in a region around Lakes Huron and Superior, extending W and N of Lake Superior to Saskatchewan and N Ontario.
2. the Algonquian language shared by the Ojibwa, Ottawa, and Algonquins.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Ojibwa - a member of an Algonquian people who lived west of Lake Superior|
Algonquian, Algonquin - a member of any of the North American Indian groups speaking an Algonquian language and originally living in the subarctic regions of eastern Canada; many Algonquian tribes migrated south into the woodlands from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic coast
|2.||Ojibwa - the Algonquian language spoken by the Ojibwa|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.