Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Greek Mythology Of or relating to the greater gods and goddesses of the ancient Greek pantheon, whose abode was Mount Olympus.
a. Majestic in manner.
b. Superior to mundane affairs.
c. Surpassing all others in scope and effect: Olympian efforts were mounted to keep the city from going bankrupt.
3. Of or relating to the Olympic Games.
4. Of or relating to the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants.
1. Greek Mythology One of the 12 major gods and goddesses inhabiting Mount Olympus.
2. One who is superior to all others: an intellectual Olympian.
3. A contestant in either the ancient or the modern Olympic Games.
4. A native or inhabitant of the region of Olympia in Greece.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) of or relating to Mount Olympus or to the classical Greek gods
2. majestic or godlike in manner or bearing
3. superior to mundane considerations, esp when impractical
4. (Historical Terms) of or relating to ancient Olympia or its inhabitants
5. (Classical Myth & Legend) a god of Olympus
6. (Historical Terms) an inhabitant or native of ancient Olympia
7. (General Sporting Terms) a competitor in the Olympic Games
O•lym•pi•an(əˈlɪm pi ən, oʊˈlɪm-)
1. pertaining to Mount Olympus or dwelling thereon, as the gods of classical Greece.
2. pertaining to Olympia in Elis.
3. characteristic of or resembling the gods of Olympus; majestic or aloof: an Olympian disdain.n.
4. an Olympian deity.
5. a contender in the Olympic Games.
6. a native or inhabitant of Olympia.
[1585–95; < Late Latin Olympiānus]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Olympian - an athlete who participates in the Olympic games|
|2.||Olympian - a classical Greek god after the overthrow of the Titans|
|Adj.||1.||Olympian - of the region of Olympia in Greece or its inhabitants; "Olympian plain"|
|2.||Olympian - of or pertaining to the greater gods of ancient Greece whose abode was Mount Olympus; "Olympian deities"|
|3.||olympian - majestic in manner or bearing; superior to mundane matters; "his majestic presence"; "olympian detachment"; "olympian beauty and serene composure"|
superior - of or characteristic of high rank or importance; "a superior ruler"
|4.||olympian - far beyond what is usual in magnitude or degree; "a night of exceeding darkness"; "an exceptional memory"; "olympian efforts to save the city from bankruptcy"; "the young Mozart's prodigious talents"|
extraordinary - beyond what is ordinary or usual; highly unusual or exceptional or remarkable; "extraordinary authority"; "an extraordinary achievement"; "her extraordinary beauty"; "enjoyed extraordinary popularity"; "an extraordinary capacity for work"; "an extraordinary session of the legislature"
1. colossal, huge, massive, enormous, tremendous, awesome, gigantic, monumental, mammoth, prodigious Getting his book into print has been an Olympian task.