muskrat(redirected from Ondatrini)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to Ondatrini: Ondatra
n. pl. muskrat or musk·rats
1. A large semiaquatic rodent (Ondatra zibethicus) native to North America and naturalized in Eurasia, having a dense brown coat and musk glands under its long, scaly tail. Also called musquash, water rat.
2. The fur of this rodent.
n, pl -rats or -ratAlso called: musquash
1. (Animals) a North American beaver-like amphibious rodent, Ondatra zibethica, closely related to but larger than the voles: family Cricetidae
2. (Textiles) the brown fur of this animal
3. (Animals) either of two closely related rodents, Ondatra obscurus or Neofiber alleni (round-tailed muskrat)
[C17: by folk etymology, from the same source as musquash]
n., pl. -rats, (esp. collectively) -rat.
1. either of two large, aquatic, North American cricetid rodents of the genus Ondatra.
2. its glossy, dark brown fur, used for coats, hats, trimming, etc.
[1680–90, Amer.; alter. of musquash < Massachusett]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||muskrat - the brown fur of a muskrat |
hudson seal - muskrat fur dressed to simulate sealskin
|2.||muskrat - beaver-like aquatic rodent of North America with dark glossy brown fur|
gnawer, rodent - relatively small placental mammals having a single pair of constantly growing incisor teeth specialized for gnawing