Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Orphic: Orphic Mysteries
1. Greek Mythology Of or ascribed to Orpheus: the Orphic poems; Orphic mysteries.
2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the dogmas, mysteries, and philosophical principles set forth in the poems ascribed to Orpheus.
3. Capable of casting a charm or spell; entrancing.
4. often orphic Mystic or occult.
[Greek Orphikos, from Orpheus, Orpheus.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) of or relating to Orpheus or Orphism
2. (sometimes not capital) mystical or occult
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of or pertaining to Orphism or to the body of literature, attributed to Orpheus.
2. (often l.c.) mystic; oracular.
3. (often l.c.) entrancing: Orphic music.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||Orphic - ascribed to Orpheus or characteristic of ideas in works ascribed to Orpheus|
|2.||orphic - having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"|
esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.