Orphic(redirected from Orphically)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. Greek Mythology Of or ascribed to Orpheus: the Orphic poems; Orphic mysteries.
2. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the dogmas, mysteries, and philosophical principles set forth in the poems ascribed to Orpheus.
3. Capable of casting a charm or spell; entrancing.
4. often orphic Mystic or occult.
[Greek Orphikos, from Orpheus, Orpheus.]
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) of or relating to Orpheus or Orphism
2. (sometimes not capital) mystical or occult
1. of or pertaining to Orphism or to the body of literature, attributed to Orpheus.
2. (often l.c.) mystic; oracular.
3. (often l.c.) entrancing: Orphic music.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||Orphic - ascribed to Orpheus or characteristic of ideas in works ascribed to Orpheus|
|2.||orphic - having an import not apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence; beyond ordinary understanding; "mysterious symbols"; "the mystical style of Blake"; "occult lore"; "the secret learning of the ancients"|
esoteric - confined to and understandable by only an enlightened inner circle; "a compilation of esoteric philosophical theories"