Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Ow·en(ō′ĭn), Robert 1771-1858.
British manufacturer and social reformer who attempted to establish a cooperative community at New Harmony in Indiana (1825-1828).
Ow·en(ō′ĭn), Wilfred 1893-1918.
British poet whose work reflects his experiences in World War I. He was killed in battle.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) David (Anthony Llewellyn), Baron. born 1938, British politician: Labour foreign secretary (1977–79); cofounder of the Social Democratic Party (1981) and its leader (1983–87): leader (1988–90) of the section of the Social Democratic Party that did not merge with the Liberal Party in 1988; peace envoy to Bosnia-Herzegovina (1992–95)
2. (Biography) Michael (James). born 1979, English footballer: a striker, he scored 40 goals in 89 games for England (1998–2008); his clubs included Liverpool (1996–2004) and Newcastle United (2005–2009)
3. (Biography) Sir Richard. 1804–92, English comparative anatomist and palaeontologist
4. (Biography) Robert. 1771–1858, Welsh industrialist and social reformer. He formed a model industrial community at New Lanark, Scotland, and pioneered cooperative societies. His books include New View of Society (1813)
5. (Biography) Wilfred. 1893–1918, English poet of World War I, who was killed in action
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. Robert, 1771–1858, Welsh social reformer in Great Britain and the U.S.
2. Wilfred, 1893–1918, English poet.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Owen - Welsh industrialist and social reformer who founded cooperative communities (1771-1858)|
|2.||Owen - English comparative anatomist and paleontologist who was an opponent of Darwinism (1804-1892)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.