oxeye(redirected from Ox eye)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of several plants in the composite family, especially of the genera Buphthalmum and Heliopsis, having flowers with yellow rays and yellow or orange centers.
2. A round or oval window, especially in a dormer.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any Eurasian plant of the genus Buphthalmum, having daisy-like flower heads with yellow rays and dark centres: family Asteraceae (composites)
2. (Plants) any of various North American plants of the related genus Heliopsis, having daisy-like flowers
3. (Plants) oxeye daisy another name for daisy2
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -eyes.
any of several composite plants having ray flowers surrounding a conspicuous disk.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||oxeye - any North American shrubby perennial herb of the genus Heliopsis having large yellow daisylike flowers|
genus Heliopsis - oxeye
|2.||oxeye - Eurasian perennial herbs having daisylike flowers with yellow rays and dark centers|
|3.||oxeye - an oval or round dormer window|
dormer window - the window in a gabled extension built to accommodate a window
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.