wren(redirected from P. C. Wren)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A member of the British Women's Royal Naval Service.
1. Any of various small brownish songbirds of the family Troglodytidae, having rounded wings, a slender bill, and a short, often erect tail. All species but one, which is Eurasian, are found only in the Americas.
2. Any of various similar unrelated songbirds.
[Middle English wrenne, from Old English wrenna.]
1. (Animals) any small brown passerine songbird of the chiefly American family Troglodytidae, esp Troglodytes troglodytes (wren in Britain, winter wren in the US and Canada). They have a slender bill and feed on insects
2. (Animals) any of various similar birds of the families Muscicapidae (Australian warblers), Xenicidae (New Zealand wrens), etc
[Old English wrenna, werna; related to Old High German wrendo, rentilo, Old Norse rindill]
(Military) history informal (in Britain and certain other nations) a member of the former Women's Royal Naval Service
[C20: from the abbreviation WRNS]
(Biography) Sir Christopher. 1632–1723, English architect. He designed St Paul's Cathedral and over 50 other London churches after the Great Fire as well as many secular buildings
1. any of various small, active songbirds of the family Troglodytidae, with streaked or spotted brown-gray plumage, a slender bill, and, in many species, elaborate vocal repertoires: found only in the New World with the exception of Troglodytes troglodytes, of North America, Eurasia, and NW Africa.
2. any of various similar, unrelated songbirds, as Australasian flycatchers of the subfamily Malurinae and New Zealand birds of the family Acanthisittidae.
[before 900; Middle English wrenn(e), Old English wrenna, obscurely akin to Old High German wrendilo, Old Norse rindill]
Sir Christopher, 1632–1723, English architect.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Wren - English architect who designed more than fifty London churches (1632-1723)|
|2.||wren - any of several small active brown birds of the northern hemisphere with short upright tails; they feed on insects|
passeriform bird, passerine - perching birds mostly small and living near the ground with feet having 4 toes arranged to allow for gripping the perch; most are songbirds; hatchlings are helpless
marsh wren - a wren of the genus Cistothorus that frequents marshes
Salpinctes obsoletus, rock wren - wren inhabiting badlands and mesa country of western United States and Mexico
cactus wren - large harsh-voiced American wren of arid regions of the United States southwest and Mexico
صَعْوصَعْو: طائِر صَغير مُغَرِّد
çalı kuşuçalıkuşuçit kuşu
chim hồng tước
wren[ren] N (Orn) → reyezuelo m, troglodito m
wren[ˈrɛn] n → troglodyte m
n → Zaunkönig m
wren[rɛn] n → scricciolo
a type of very small bird. winterkoninkie صَعْو: طائِر صَغير مُغَرِّد орехче cambaxirra střízlík der Zaunkönig gærdesmutte τρυποφράχτηςreyezuelo käblik سسک؛ نوعی چکاوک peukaloinen roitelet גִדרוֹן पिटपिटी palčić ökörszem burung pipit músarrindill scricciolo みそさざい 굴뚝새 karetaitė, traškutis paceplītis; zeltgalvītis; žubīte sejenis burung yang sangat kecil winterkoninkjegjerdesmettstrzyżyk چتي، چتكى، يو ډول دبلبل دجنس څخه وړوكى سند رغاړى مرغۍ ده carriça pitulice крапивник oriešok palček carić gärdsmyg นกในตระกูล Troglodytidae ร้องเพลงได้ ขนสีน้ำตาลเข้มคาดดำอยู่ที่ปลายหางด้านบน çit kuşu, çalı kuşu 鷦鷯 волове очко ایک قسم کی بہت چھوٹی چڑیا chim hồng tước 鹪鹩