paisley(redirected from Paisley Buddies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A town of southwest Scotland west of Glasgow. It was famous as a textile center in the 1800s for its colorful patterned shawls.
Having a colorful swirled design featuring intricately patterned teardrop-shaped figures. Used especially of fabric.
n. pl. pais·leys
A paisley pattern or fabric.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) an industrial town in SW Scotland, the administrative centre of Renfrewshire: one of the world's chief centres for the manufacture of thread, linen, and gauze in the 19th century. Pop: 74 170 (2001)
1. (Biography) Bob. 1919–96, English footballer and manager: played for Liverpool (1939–54); under his management (1974–83) Liverpool won six English titles and the European Cup three times (1977, 1978, 1981)
2. (Biography) Ian (Richard Kyle) Baron. born 1926, Northern Ireland politician and Presbyterian minister; cofounder (1972) and leader of the Democratic Unionist Party until 2008, First Minister of Northern Ireland from 2007 to 2008
1. (Crafts) a pattern of small curving shapes with intricate detailing, usually printed in bright colours
2. (Textiles) a soft fine wool fabric traditionally printed with this pattern
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a garment made of this fabric, esp a shawl popular in the late 19th century
4. (Clothing & Fashion) (modifier) of or decorated with this pattern: a paisley scarf.
[C19: named after Paisley]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -leys,
1. a pattern of colorful, detailed, usu. curving figures.
2. a fabric woven or printed in this pattern.
3. something made of this fabric.adj.
4. made of paisley fabric.
5. having the pattern of paisley.
[1825–35; after Paisley]
1. a city in SW Scotland, W of Glasgow. 84,789.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Woolen material woven or printed with a swirling pattern of rounded abstract shapes.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||paisley - a soft wool fabric with a colorful swirled pattern of curved shapes|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995