Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Paiute: Northern Paiute
Pai·utealso Pi·ute (pī′yo͞ot′)
n. pl. Paiute or Pai·utes also Piute or Pi·utes
1. A member of a Native American people inhabiting eastern Oregon, western Nevada, and adjacent areas of northeast California. Also called Northern Paiute.
2. A member of a Native American people inhabiting southern Utah and Nevada, northern Arizona, and adjacent areas of southeast California. Also called Southern Paiute.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Paiute(ˈpaɪˌuːt; paɪˈjuːt) or
npl -utes or -ute
1. (Peoples) a member of either of two North American Indian peoples (Northern Paiute and Southern Paiute) of the Southwestern US, related to the Aztecs
2. (Languages) the language of either of these peoples, belonging to the Shoshonean subfamily of the Uto-Aztecan family
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Pai•ute(paɪˈut, ˈpaɪ ut)
n., pl. -utes, (esp. collectively) -ute.
1. a member of an American Indian people of the U.S. Great Basin region.
2. either of two Uto-Aztecan languages spoken by the Paiutes.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Paiute - a member of either of two Shoshonean peoples (northern Paiute and southern Paiute) related to the Aztecs and living in the southwestern United States|
|2.||Paiute - the Shoshonean language spoken by the Paiute|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.