Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A trademark for a semisolid cosmetic or theatrical makeup pressed into a flat cake and usually applied with a damp sponge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n., v. -caked, -cak•ing. n.
1. a thin, flat cake of batter fried on both sides on a griddle or in a frying pan; griddlecake or flapjack.
2. Also called pan′cake land`ing. an airplane landing made by pancaking.v.i.
3. (of an airplane) to drop flat to the ground after leveling off a few feet above it.v.t.
4. Informal. to flatten, esp. as the result of a mishap.
5. to cause (an airplane) to pancake.
a brand of cosmetic in a semimoist cake of compressed powder, usu. applied with a moist sponge.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.